A New Day has Dawned.

People everywhere are saying that electing Barack Obama is evidence that racism is over in America, and they must be right because we are already feeling the love!

We can't believe how much America has turned around! Every week we'll bring you a new story of how our fair country has become more...fair.

Have you had similar experiences in this new racism-free world? How has your life changed? Share your stories with us, and we'll put them on the blog.

One Love (for real this time),
Jamal and Tamika

Feb 3, 2009

Fake Siblings (aka “Bro” and “Sista”)


Oh, Jamal…you know how I used to hate when someone I was not related to called me “sista?” Well, I am happy to say that since the dawn of our new country, this has not been a problem at all. People now address me using…wait for it…it’s shocking…are you sitting down?….my name. Yes, that’s right- people actually use my name when they are trying to connect with me in conversation. It’s such a lovely change of pace. For a while I was getting suspicious that white people called black women “sister” because they couldn’t tell us apart from on another, and that “sis” was a good catch-all that prevented the chore of having to learn a black person’s actual name. I do have to admit, I feel like my family has grown just a bit smaller, but that’s okay by me.

Oh, Tamika, you are not kidding around, if one more person called me “bro” who was not actually my brother, I think I was going to sick my mother on them.

(T-shirt design by TBWear)

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP