A New Day has Dawned.

People everywhere are saying that electing Barack Obama is evidence that racism is over in America, and they must be right because we are already feeling the love!

We can't believe how much America has turned around! Every week we'll bring you a new story of how our fair country has become more...fair.

Have you had similar experiences in this new racism-free world? How has your life changed? Share your stories with us, and we'll put them on the blog.

One Love (for real this time),
Jamal and Tamika

Nov 26, 2008

Airports

Guest Blogger: Pardeep

Hey peeps. I am LOVING the new America! It’s made airplane travel sooooo much easier. Flying used to be easy for me but then 9/11 and all. Shout-out to you Jamal, I know you didn’t have it easy before the whole terrorism thing. But since then, I have had to get to airports an extra hour or two early to allow for extra search and possible interrogation. Every time I fly to Ohio for a family gathering I get asked “where are you really going?” Then my ticket is flagged for “special search” which can take an unpredictable amount of time depending on how many times I have to re-wrap my turban. Then I end up having to be manually scanned by some guy with a baseball bat shaped wand because I can’t take off my Kara and they never believe that it’s not some kind of weapon (I don’t know how to kill someone with a bracelet, do you?). I don’t even want to talk about what they do with my beard. A few times I rented a car instead, it was actually faster (and less humiliating) than flying.

But NOW….I sail right through! In fact, last time I flew the TSA looked at my boarding pass, called me by name, with a Mr. in front of it, cautioned me to stay warm because Ohio is having a rough winter, and waved me through when my bracelet set off the metal detector. “No worries,” said the attendant, “have a good visit with your family. Make sure you come back though, we’d miss you if you were gone for too long.”

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP