A New Day has Dawned.

People everywhere are saying that electing Barack Obama is evidence that racism is over in America, and they must be right because we are already feeling the love!

We can't believe how much America has turned around! Every week we'll bring you a new story of how our fair country has become more...fair.

Have you had similar experiences in this new racism-free world? How has your life changed? Share your stories with us, and we'll put them on the blog.

One Love (for real this time),
Jamal and Tamika

Dec 28, 2008

Kwanzaa

Guest blogger: Joy

Harambe Everybody! Habari Gani!

I am so stoked that now that racism is over I can celebrate Kwanzaa in peace!

It seemed for a while there like there would never be any way to enjoy my favorite holiday with the joy and community that it creates without being misunderstood, told I am a weirdo, ridiculed, compared to Hanukkah, made fun of or told I'm a freak. When I was a kid no one knew anything about Kwanzaa and my mom had to come to my school and explain it to everyone. Now that I have grown up, Kwanzaa has turned into a joke on MadTV and everyone thinks it's funny to wish someone a happy Kwanzaa. Last year, I couldn't even put the days of the week on my Facebook status because people kept commenting on how it is a fake made-up holiday.

What holiday isn't made up? Seriously. You think Easter eggs were what...invented by god? Did they come raining down from the heavens one day? Come on.

Now I can light my candles with pride and joy! People have heard of Kwanzaa, know what it is, how to celebrate it and no one makes fun of me anymore. What a relief.

So...now I can say with confidence, Happy Kwanzaa everybody! Let's all pull together (Harambee)!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP